Bathroom Tiles Hollywood Florida | What You Should Know About Sealing Bathroom Tiles
If you’ve just moved into a new home with gorgeous tiles floors that seem like a bit difficult to keep up with, you may have given some advice about sealing the tile floors or you thought it was just the grout that needs to be sealed. It’s important to realize that there are two parts of a tile floor: the tile and the grout. The grout is just as important as the tile, but it’s the often-overlooked material that keeps the tiles in place. Grout needs to be sealed as it’s naturally porous and will stain easily. As for sealing bathroom tiles Hollywood Florida, it depends if the bathroom tiles are made from porous materials or not.
To Seal or Not to Seal Bathroom Tiles
Generally, tiles that are glazed like ceramic or porcelain doesn’t need to be sealed. But if you’re using terra cotta or unglazed tiles, you would seal them as they are porous. You should NEVER apply grout sealer to the surface of natural stone tile or unglazed tile. If you do, the tile will absorb the sealer and it will never come out and may cause discoloration to the tile. Sealing is done to strengthen tile or grout’s defenses against erosion, dirt, and spills.
Important Considerations When Sealing Bathroom Tiles
- All unglazed tiles (including dense porcelains) should be sealed before grouting. It will prevent the grout from staining the tile, especially when using a dark-colored grout.
- The surfaces of most porcelain and ceramic tiles do not need to be sealed. Some may require a light application of a penetrating sealer to fill the micropores on the tile surface.
- Highly absorbent tiles must be permanently sealed with either a penetrating sealer or surface sealer.
- Penetrating sealers should only be applied on dense, unglazed tiles.
- It is important to read the product instructions and manufacturer recommendations.
Why Sealing the Grout is Important
Grout acts as a water barrier between the tiles. If it becomes compromised, moisture will get behind the tiles, which will eventually degrade the tile adhesion and the wall/floor. Sealing the grout gives you another layer of protection and mildew, grout degradation, and water infiltration.
Do You Need a Sealer/Installer of Bathroom Tiles Hollywood Florida?
Our team at D&B Tile will ensure your renovation remains beautiful for years to come. If you’re ready to choose a tile for your bathroom, contact us today or visit our showroom. We offer the best selection of bathroom tiles Hollywood Florida so you’ll end up with a design you can enjoy for a long time.